Striking a balance between technology and books, especially for those more reluctant readers, can be a daunting task for educators these days. Why not combine the two?
Bev Humphrey will guide you through Accelerated Reader, a system designed to encourage reading through a medium many students live in day to day – computer software and online media.
Hosted in Heath Education Books’ extensive showroom, guests will have access to Bev’s expertise and real life examples of using the scheme, alongside 60,000 titles to peruse and consider for readers of all ages and reading abilities. A great opportunity to collaborate with Showroom staff and other educators as you learn how to use AR to its full potential, get the most of virtual options you may not have considered like blogs and vlogs plus view and select book choices that will inspire your students.
Wednesday 19th June 2019 9.30 am to 3.00 pm with Bev Humphrey at Heath Educational Books
Session 1: 9.45—11.00
· Understanding the programme
· Potential and little known aspects of the programme
· Potential Hints and tips from Bev (an extensive user)
· Q&A session with Bev
Session 2: 11.15—12.30
Books Books Books, free reign of Heath’s showroom!
· Showcase of both well known and lesser known titles to excite readers
· Suggestions for using titles to motivate readers ranging from reluctant to avid
· Discussion of eBook use and promotion of reading outside of AR
· Experienced showroom staff on hand to assist with answers to your questions
Session 3: 13.30—15.00
Further uses of technology to encourage reading for enjoyment
· Vlogging, blogging & Tweeting and how they can develop reading culture
· Reading promotion sites and resources to help you and your students negotiate the e-world of books with ease
About Bev Humphrey
Bev Humphrey spent 10 years as a school librarian and is now a Literacy and Technology Consultant.
Working in an all boys secondary school in South East London she developed a passion for encouraging her students to read and write for pleasure, often using online media to do so. She was given a Reading Hero Award by the Literacy Trust for her work during the National Year of Reading. Bev’s international collaborative writing project, the Write Path was shortlisted for a Times Educational Supplement New Literacy Initiative Award in 2009 and has twice been shortlisted for a Lemos and Crane Literacy Award. Bev also worked with the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust as a Lead Practitioner for literacy.
As a consultant Bev has presented at seminars and conferences all over the country for E2BN, Renaissance Learning, CILIP, SLG and SLA amongst others. A self-confessed geek, Bev lives much of her life online and loves using exciting new technology as a motivator for young people’s learning. She is a member of the SLA Board, SLA Website Content Manager and Editor, SLA Digital. Bev is at her happiest when enlightening colleagues in education about the possibilities of literacy presented by new technologies for enthusing young people about reading and writing for pleasure or when she is working with school librarians who are of course her favourite people!
How to Book
Venue: Heath Educational Books Willow House, Willow Walk, Sutton, Surrey SM3 9QQ
- Dates to remember: Course Date Wednesday 19th June 2019
- Closing Date: Wednesday 12th June 2019
- Discount Deadline: Monday 3rd June 2019*
To Book: Download an order form here
You may also book online via the SLA website, but please quote‘Heaths’ in the ‘How I Heard about this Course’ section on the online booking form to qualify for the special Heath customer price.You will be issued with an invoice for payment.
(VAT at Standard Rate applies to all course fees)
SLA Members and Heath Books customers
£105.00 * (£70 for 2nd delegate from same school)
£165.00* (£90 for 2nd delegate from same school)
The price includes a hot lunch and refreshments throughout the day.
* A discount of £15.00 will be given on all bookings before discount deadline.
We will honour this discount price if we have received a booking form by this date.